At Thorp & Trainer, we understand that being in an accident is a very stressful and traumatic experience. Many policyholders have told us that they wish they acted differently at the scene of the accident, but that their nerves got the best of them.
That’s why we have assembled this easy check list and suggest you keep it in your glove box to reference in the event of an accident. While we hope you never experience an auto mishap, we want to keep you prepared to ensure a smooth claims process.
After the accident:
- Do your best not to panic
- No matter what happens, ALWAYS Call 911 to inform them of any injuries and to alert police
- If you are not injured, and have the ability, take photographs of the accident scene and vehicle damage
- Try to capture the vehicle positioning before they are moved off the road
- Exchange pertinent information with the other driver(s). This should include: name, address, vehicle registration number, make/model/color of vehicle, insurance company name, insurance company policy number, and a contact number for the owner
- Never admit fault for the accident
- Obtain witness contact information if available
- File a police report with the responding officer
- Do not leave the scene of the accident until the police officer advises you to do so
- Contact your insurance company immediately
We urge you to remember these tips in the event of an auto accident. By taking the correct steps immediately following an accident you can ensure a prompt and efficient claims process. For more information, contact your Thorp & Trainer agent at 596.0146 or visit us at www.thorptrainer.com and click on the ‘Claims’ tab.