Zucchini: Shred 3 medium zucchini or 2 large zucchinis.
All-purpose flour: This is what creates the structure for the zucchini fritters.
Large eggs: Whisked eggs are added to the ingredients to help bind the ingredients together. They are just one of the elements that ensure these fritters stay intact.
Sliced green onions: A fresh, slightly pungent, vibrant flavor.
Sea salt & black pepper: Just a bit of seasoning to taste.
Olive oil: There’s no deep-frying, so just a tablespoon or two of healthy olive oil will do. More, if needed, to get a beautiful golden exterior.
- Don’t skip this step! First thing’s first. Strain and squeeze your zucchini. Place the shredded zucchini in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle it with salt, which will naturally extract some of the water through osmosis (thank you science class), and allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Squeeze out excess water. Transfer zucchini to a cheesecloth, nut milk bag, or paper towel, and use your hands to squeeze out any extra water.
- Combine ingredients for the batter. Place the zucchini in a large bowl along with the flour, eggs, and green onions and stir until just combined.
- Scoop and flatten. Add the olive oil to a large heavy-bottom or cast-iron skillet and heat a bit of olive oil over medium-low heat. Use a cookie scoop to scoop up about 3 Tablespoons of mixture and drop the batter into the oil and flatten it a bit with a spatula. Repeat with as many patties that can fit in the skillet while still leaving room in between each one.
- Cook for 4-6 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown. Transfer the cooked zucchini fritters to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper while still warm.
- Serve with sour cream and chives, if desired. Dig in!