Understanding the importance of flood insurance …
In this community, we know all too well the devastation that flooding can cause. On a national scale, the historic flooding in Houston and Florida has led to numerous fatalities and has caused millions of dollars in damage.
Recent storms in our area have become harsher and more frequent, leaving many of us with property losses. Sometimes those losses result in minor damage, other times losses can be severe or even catastrophic. In cases of a larger loss you could find yourself without the comforts of home or belongings.
At Thorp & Trainer, we want you to be prepared in the event of a flood emergency. Please keep the following in mind in advance of the next storm:
- Read your insurance policies to understand your coverage.
- Invest in emergency essentials to include, but not limited to, candles, batteries, non-perishable foods, flashlights, a portable grill for cooking, a sufficient sump pump, a shop vacuum, a generator, a fan, a working fire extinguisher, boots and rubber gloves.
- When traveling, be sure to fill your gas tank. Make sure you have food, water, boots, a charged cell phone and appropriate weather gear to keep you warm and dry.
- Familiarize yourself with Rhode Island Emergency Management Association (401) 946-9996and other local organizations and disaster assistance programs.
- Keep phone numbers handy like those for local utility companies: gas, electric and cable, and family physicians.
- Make sure your prescriptions are filled.
For more information visit the National Flood Insurance Program website, www.floodsmart.gov.
If you have any questions or want to review what your coverage options may be please call us anytime at 596.0146. A well-educated insurance decision is always the best one you can mak