Living in Southern New England, we experience our fair share of extreme weather conditions. From damaging hurricanes to blizzards, it is important to be prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws our way. At Thorp & Trainer, we want to make sure you are prepared in the event of a weather emergency. It is a good idea to maintain an emergency supply kit to ensure that you and your loved ones can weather the storm.
Please see below for a list of what to include in a basic emergency supply kit:
- Water, one gallon per person per day for at least three days
- A three-day supply of non-perishable food (canned foods, peanut butter, baby food, etc.)
- Paper plates, plastic or paper cups, and plastic utensils
- Manual can opener
- Battery-operated radio, preferable a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit complete with prescription and over the counter medicines, bandages and gauze, antiseptics, etc.
- Whistle to signal for help
- Bedding including sheets, blankets and pillows
- Dust masks to help filter contaminated air
- Plastic sheeting, garbage bags and duct tape
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities if warranted or requested
- Local maps
- Infant formula and diapers if needed
- Pet supplies including food and water, leash or pet carrier
- Hygiene items such as toilet paper
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account information and home inventory analysis in a waterproof bag or plastic container
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
For additional ways to make sure your family, property and business are safeguarded from loss, call your Thorp & Trainer account manager at 596.0146.